These are statements or questions demanding the person asked confront an unreasonable bias, admit a base truth, or, ideally, CommonGround come to agreement on a foundational common ground. These items (or some of them) should be broken out to a new "Openers" category.
- Are you against doing what we can to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people?
- How is a gun a deterrent if it's concealed?
- Are you saying you're unwilling to be a little inconvenienced once in a while, in order to help save lives?
- People who represent for-profit corporate gun industry need to stop pretending they care about "rights and freedoms".
- Unlicensed sales feed crime and gun-violence:
- ATF’s limited compliance inspections between 2008 and 2010 found that over 62,000 firearms were missing from licensees’ inventories with no record of sale.6 The Bureau also identified over 16,000 firearms that had disappeared from gun manufacturers’ inventories without explanation between 2009 and the middle of 2011.7
- An estimated 40% of the guns acquired in the U.S. annually come from unlicensed sellers who are not required by federal law to conduct background checks on gun purchasers.10 http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-traffickingprivate-sales-statistics/
- 22% of current U.S. gun owners who acquired a firearm from 2013 to 2015 did so without a background check. 1613 adult gun owners surveyed.
findings nevertheless indicate that millions of U.S. adults annually continue to acquire guns without background checks, often from friends or acquaintances, and disproportionately so in states that do not regulate private firearm sales. http://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2595892/firearm-acquisition-without-background-checks-results-national-survey
- Lax gun storage and transport crime and gun-violence. Certain types of gun owners-who own many guns, who carry guns, and who do not store guns safely-are at higher risk to have their guns stolen. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40621-017-0109-8