Liberals falsely claim accidents count as "school shootings"
From Gun Retort
Short Retort[edit | edit source]
- I agree. An accidental discharge of a security guard's firearm is not a "school shooting".
- But that's just one group, called "Everytown for Gun Safety", not "Liberals".
Claim Rationale[edit | edit source]
- Everytown’s database includes any incident in which “a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or grounds.” This is a broad standard, and ends up grouping relatively minor accidents together with serious active shooter situations.
- Accidental gunshots and public suicides are categorically different, as the FBI has noted, than incidents in which an individual with no clear motive consciously fires a semi-automatic assault rifle at crowds of students.
- The very first school shooting of 2018 according to the database is an incident involving a 31-year-old man shooting and killing himself in a Michigan elementary school parking lot. No teachers or students were harmed or even on the premise, as the school had closed back in June.
- Another incident listed in Everytown’s database involved a third grade student at a Minnesota special needs school pulling the trigger of a school liaison officer’s holstered gun. The officer was sitting on a bench, distracted while talking to other children. The bullet hit the ground and no one was injured.
- Law enforcement officials apply a considerably more rigorous standard.
- Everytown Claims Rated: False. http://checkyourfact.com/2018/02/15/fact-check-18-school-shootings-2018/
Retort Deep-Dive[edit | edit source]
- That's one group, called "Everytown for Gun Safety", not "Liberals".
- Reducing gun violence is not a "liberal" agenda.
Related[edit | edit source]
Pages Tagged: CommonGround
- Debate Tips
- Draft:Don't blame guns for inner-city violence.
- Draft:You can't blame guns for socioeconomic problems.
- Draft:Gun violence does not exist. There is only violence.
- Draft:The Civil War Isn't Over
- Courts ruled the National Firearms Act "unconstitutional".
- The U.S. does NOT have the world highest gun-homicide rate.
- Draft:All governments are tyrannical by nature.
- Draft:Waiting periods have proven worthless.
- Domestic Terrorism in the U.S.
- How to Report Domestic Terrorism
- Draft:The NRA Uses Fear-Mongering to Sell Guns
- Draft:It’s a felony to sell a new gun without a background check.
- Unlicensed sales are allowed by law.
- Draft:Self-Defense is a God-Given Right
- Draft:Second Amendment
- Draft:The 2nd Amendment protects all citizens right to possess unlimited arms of any type.
- Draft:Return This Woman's Guns
- Draft:Pro-Gun Allies
- Draft:ANY new gun legislation will ultimately lead to the confiscation of ALL guns from ALL citizens.
- Draft:Terrorism: Causes & Solutions