Draft:All governments are tyrannical by nature.
Short Retort[edit | edit source]
Claim Rationale[edit | edit source]
- That's why citizens need guns.
Retort Deep-Dive[edit | edit source]
I think we agree that governments should not harm or intimidate their own citizens, and govt's should abide the natural, civil, and human rights of citizens.
But i don't agree with you that all govt's, equally and by-definition, violate those principles. I don't agree with you that any effort to organize people and resources will automatically lead to tyranny.
To support my view that govt's are not all the same, and that some strongly represent the good of the populace, i offer country-by-country comparisons in the comments below. I list various types of gov't abuses, like police brutality, death penalty, and abuse of power. I also list examples of good gov't, like transparency, the freedom to protest, and a strong people's-voice in national decisions.
Notice that some govt's score well on some things, badly on others-- including the USA. We definitly have work to do. But i don't agree that the solution is to tear down the whole system using violence.
- Transparency: Tyrants generally don't want the populace to know what they're up to. http://www.oecd.org/gov/digital-government/open-government-data.htm
- Police Brutality
- Police Armaments
- Militarism The EU has no standing army. Instead, under its common security and defence policy (CSDP), it relies on ad hoc forces contributed by EU countries. https://europa.eu/european-union/topics/foreign-security-policy_en
- Secret Police
- Death Penalty
- Military Arms
- Psychiatric Abuses
- Assassination of Citizens
pic on HD
- Authoritarianism https://infographics.economist.com/2017/DemocracyIndex/ "Constraints on Government Powers, Absence of Corruption, Open Government, Fundamental Rights" https://worldjusticeproject.org/sites/default/files/documents/RoLI_Final-Digital_0.pdf pic on HD http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/the-worlds-most-authoritarian-destinations/
Docs[edit | edit source]
Related[edit | edit source]
Pages Tagged: CivilRights
- Debate Tips
- Draft:Don't blame guns for inner-city violence.
- Draft:You can't blame guns for socioeconomic problems.
- Liberals falsely claim accidents count as "school shootings"
- Draft:Gun violence does not exist. There is only violence.
- Draft:The Civil War Isn't Over
- Courts ruled the National Firearms Act "unconstitutional".
- The U.S. does NOT have the world highest gun-homicide rate.
- Draft:Waiting periods have proven worthless.
- Domestic Terrorism in the U.S.
- How to Report Domestic Terrorism
- Draft:The NRA Uses Fear-Mongering to Sell Guns
- Draft:It’s a felony to sell a new gun without a background check.
- Unlicensed sales are allowed by law.
- Draft:Self-Defense is a God-Given Right
- Draft:Second Amendment
- Draft:The 2nd Amendment protects all citizens right to possess unlimited arms of any type.
- Draft:Return This Woman's Guns
- Draft:Pro-Gun Allies
- Draft:ANY new gun legislation will ultimately lead to the confiscation of ALL guns from ALL citizens.
- Draft:Terrorism: Causes & Solutions